Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I think this is officially a weekly update, don't you?

It's been nice to have the last two days off and I've concentrated on a mix of relaxation and productivity. It's been a pretty even mix.

Yesterday I dedicated most of the day to homework. I've been trying to accomplish major portions of the portfolio that I have to turn in at the end of July. A passing grade allows me to graduate, a failing grade prevents graduation and so I'm taking it seriously and using my days off to get things done. I accomplished a few things and then decided to reward myself with dinner at Carnegie Deli.

I'd purposely not eaten lunch because I knew their portions to be massive. I figured, hey, I'll go and eat half the sandwich and save the other half for lunch today. I must've forgotten that idea, because by the end of the meal my plate was completely empty. One of my favorite parts of Carnegie Deli (as is the case with quite a few NYC restaurants) is the cafeteria style seating. You sit next to and across from complete strangers, many of which are outgoing and interesting. The guy sitting across from me was here from London and so we compared notes and talked about our countries, talked about politics in England and what to do while he's here in New York. He was thoroughly impressed by how friendly New Yorkers are. I'm not entirely sure he's left his hotel.

I couldn't just stare at a computer all weekend, so I took half the day to go explore. The day started off down in Chelsea where I received possibly the most obsessive and thorough haircut of my life, the slightly cold Russian woman inspecting just about ever hair on my head-- and for a very reasonable $15! You can't beat it. Freestyle Barber Shop in Chelsea. I'll go back.

I'd heard wonderful things about New York's new High Line park and so I decided to go find out what it was like. The park was created atop old above ground train tracks that run from 30th street down to around 14th and is one of my favorite parts of the city thus far. They've done a fantastic job creating a really unique green space and the design of everything is so cool. Old train tracks are left running through the concrete. Running water pours across the sidewalk in a slightly mystifying horizontal fountain. The concrete floor curls up and forms into a bench. Gardens line the path and a nice breeze blows through. On one side you can see New Jersey and the river and on the other, there's a huge panoramic view of Manhattan. What a cool place!

I then walked down into Chelsea, had lunch at Blossom du Jour and headed back up to my place. I've spent the rest of the day working on my project and getting ready for the week ahead. Tomorrow night is the CBS intern Yankee's game and should be great fun!

Until next week!















No comments:

Post a Comment