Tuesday, June 7, 2011

All right, another 2 for 1 blog post. I didn't have much time or energy to post yesterday, so I'm rolling it all into one post.

Yesterday began the reason why I came to New York City: my first day at CBS. So as not to breach CBS legal agreements, my coverage and mention of my time will be brief and vague, so I do apologize if the blog takes a turn for the ordinary as I get into a more strenuous work week.

After my first day, I'm confident that I will be helpful and valuable-- or at least I plan to be.

Directly after orientation, Esteban, Sanyee and I (all CBS interns, for clarification) set out to obtain coveted New York Public Library cards but, not having the correct documentation, will have to return another day.

We wandered through Midtown for some time and finally stopped at Main Noodle House on 6th, ready to gorge ourselves after a long day. The teriyaki salmon I had was fresh and I'll likely be back.

Working on the Weekend News had a unique benefit: my second day was actually a day off. My work week is Wednesday through Sunday, so I used my day off to unwind and relax.

I pulled my bike from underneath my bed and trekked up to Central Park, playing chicken with open taxi doors and delivery trucks. My advice? Take the subway or wear a helmet. Or both. A quick loop around Central Park, a stop to take a few pictures of the Guggenheim and then a rest in the shade recharged me enough to bike back downtown.

More than ready for the relaxing part of my day, I headed up to Bryant Park, near the New York Public Library, and picked up some Pret for lunch on the way. An afternoon with the book "Medium Raw" and a very good chicken/bacon sandwich? Just as good as it sounds.

I'm back in my room now, preparing to head out to Smith Brother's on 8th for some karaoke, though I suspect my participation will be, as is wise, limited.

Tomorrow is my first "real" day at CBS where I'll be meeting my "co-workers" and I'm excited to really get into the internship.

Things I've learned (over the past few days):
1. Don't ask a cashier where to find fresh produce. She'll follow up your question with the question: "What is 'produce?'"
2. Anytime you try to do something here, there will likely be someone with minimal authority telling you that you cannot.
3. If you're wearing a white dress shirt, you will inevitably get something on it.


Note: The Ohio-shaped tag hanging from the rack on my bike? It's a project my friend is working on. Thanks, Push Tags, even if I am using these a year after you gave them to me!




1 comment:

  1. Nice Push tag!! :D still reading every day and enjoying living vicariously through you haha

    ReplyDelete